NSW Heritage Week is celebrated throughout the State in April each year.
The Ryde District Historical Society’s celebrations usually include an Open Day at Willandra with walking tours of local historical sites.
In Heritage Week 2008, the first walking tour was of Ryde Village, incorporating St Anne’s Church (built in 1826-27), St Anne’s Cemetery, Original Court House (built in 1863), Wesleyan Chapel (built in 1870), Oddfellows Hall (built in 1868), and the Former Wesleyan Chapel (built in 1848).
The second walking tour was down Victoria Road to Addington (a three roomed cottage built in 1837 and soon extended with a wing with two bedrooms and a verandah), The Retreat (a smaller cottage built next to Addington in 1843), Wallumetta (A two story Victorian style dwelling built in the 1880s), Ryde Court House (built in the 1920s) and Ryde Watch House (built in 1837-38).
The large number of people on the walking tours were split into small groups of about 6, each group having its own tour guide.
Click here to see photos of the 2008 Open Day..